Dr. Destounis completed her Radiology Residency at the University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry in 1993. She joined the Elizabeth Wende Breast Clinic and trained with Dr. Wende Logan Young, completing Breast imaging fellowship of one year. In July 1994 Dr Destounis joined EWBC as an attending radiologist.
Dr. Destounis is a past member of the American Cancer Society Eastern Division Board of Directors and a past member of the Board of Directors of Gilda’s Club. She sits on medical advisory boards for several breast imaging technology companies and several radiology organizations and peer review journals.
Within the local community, she has participated on radiology committees for several health care provider companies and is a volunteer for many community organizations and activities. Dr. Destounis frequently lectures to professional groups, nationally and internationally, on a variety of subjects related to mammography, breast ultrasound, breast MRI, biopsy techniques and also new modalities such as elastography and digital breast tomosynthesis.
- National American Cancer Society, Reach to Recovery Award of Excellence (2003)
- Rochester Business Journal, Health Care Achievement Award (2009)
- American College of Radiology Fellow (2010). ACR Fellows are members who have distinguished themselves with a long history of service and dedication to the College,organized radiology, teaching and research.
- American Cancer Society, Mary Grace Ryan Pillar of Hope Award (2010)
- Society of Breast Imaging (SBI), Distinguished Fellow (2010)
- Journal of Clinical Imaging Best Scientific Paper of 2013, article on Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
- Computer aided detection
- Digital mammography
- Breast MRI
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast biopsy
- Peer review articles published in several radiology journals
- Multiple chapters in radiology textbooks related to breast cancer detection
- Principal investigator of several ongoing research projects at Elizabeth Wende Breast Care
- Reviewer of many peer review journals