Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE)
ACR Gold Standard Accreditation:
The Breast Imaging Center of Excellence designation recognizes our dedication to improving women’s health by participating in a rigorous quality assurance program, and procedure evaluations are conducted by board-certified radiologists and medical physicists who are experts in the field.
The ACR awards accreditation to facilities for achieving high practice standards after a peer-review evaluation of its practice.
The program also evaluates personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, quality control procedures, and quality assurance programs. This signifies that Elizabeth Wende Breast Care provides services at the highest standards of the radiology profession. To receive the ACR’s Breast Imaging Center of Excellence designation, a center must be fully accredited in the:
- Mammography by the ACR (or an FDA-approved state accrediting body)
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy by the ACR
- Breast Ultrasound by the ACR (including the Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy module)
- Breast MRI
Peer-review evaluations, conducted in each breast imaging modality by board-certified physicians and medical physicists who are experts in the field, have determined that this facility has achieved high practice standards in image quality, personnel qualifications, facility equipment, quality control procedures and quality assurance programs.
The ACR is a national professional organization serving more than 42,000 diagnostic/interventional radiologists, radiation oncologists, nuclear medicine physicians, and medical physicists with programs focusing on the practice of medical imaging and radiation oncology and the delivery of comprehensive health care services.
When you see the gold seals of accreditation prominently displayed at the EWBC, you can be sure that you are in a facility that meets standards for imaging quality and safety. Look for the ACR Gold Seals of Accreditation in Digital Mammography, Ultrasound, Stereotactic Biopsy, and Breast MRI.
To achieve the ACR Gold Standard of Accreditation, our EWBC personnel qualifications, equipment requirements, quality assurance, and quality control procedures have undergone a rigorous review process and met specific qualifications. It’s important for patients to know that board-certified expert radiologists and medical physicists in advanced diagnostic imaging oversee every aspect of the ACR accreditation process.
What does ACR accreditation mean for patients?
What does the ACR Accreditation gold seal mean for PATIENTS?
- The facility has met the high standards of the ACR for high standards for quality and safety in medical imaging/radiation oncology treatment.
- The facility has systems in place to help ensure appropriate dose levels are used for adult and pediatric imaging where appropriate.
- ACR is committed to making sure our accredited facilities meet the standards in imaging and quality control set by radiologists and radiation oncologists across the country.
- The facility has undergone a rigorous review process which includes:
• Equipment must be assessed annually by a medical imaging and radiation oncology expert who verifies that it functions properly, takes optimal images and utilizes appropriate radiation dose.
- Personnel are required to meet ACR qualification standards to perform your procedure and interpret your medical images.
- Physicians reading your study have systems in place to review each other’s work to ensure diagnostic accuracy.
- ACR Accreditation programs are recognized by the FDA (mammography) and CMS (diagnostic MRI, CT and nuclear medicine imaging procedures).
- The ACR performs site surveys to validate compliance with regulations and safety standards.
- Program-specific educational tools are available to sites to support their commitment to ongoing quality improvement.
radiologyinfo.org – Learn about your imaging procedures and how to prepare for them.
mammographysaveslives.org – Find out where to get a mammogram and learn about breast density.
imagegently.org – Guidelines to improve safe and effective imaging care of children worldwide.
imagewisely.org – Get facts about radiation safety and questions to ask your doctor.
choosingwisely.org – Offers evidence-based recommendations to physicians and patients to help them make choices about their care.
ACR-Accredited Facilities – Find an accredited facility near you.
JACR® Appropriateness Criteria Patient-Friendly Summaries Explains situation-specific imaging in lay terms.
To learn more about the American College of Radiology, please visit www.acr.org.